Mexico By Viva Voyages
Officially the United Mexican States is a federal constitutional republic in North America. It is bordered on the north by the United States of America; on the south and west by the Pacific Ocean; on the southeast by Guatemala, Belize, and the Caribbean Sea; and on the east by the Gulf of Mexico. Covering almost two million square kilometers (over 760,000 sq mi),Mexico is the fifth largest country in the Americas by total area and the thirteenth largest independent nation in the world . With an estimated population of over 113million,it is the world’s eleventh most populous country and the most populous Spanish-speaking country. Mexico is a federation comprising thirty-one states and a Federal District, the capital city.
Things To Know
Capital: Mexico City
Currency: Mexican peso
Time Zone: GMT- 06:00 hour
Language : Spanish
Denomination : 6
- Mexico is located between latitudes 14° and 33°N , and longitudes 86° and119°W in the southern portion of North America. however, Mexico is entirely considered part of North America, along with Canada and the United States.[ Mexicos total area is 1,972,550 (761,606 sq mi), making it the worlds 14th largest country by total area , and includes approximately 6,000 km2 (2,317 sq mi) of islands in the Pacific Ocean (including the remote Guadalupe Island and the Revillagigedo Islands).
- Snow-capped Pico de Orizaba , the highest point in Mexico On its north, Mexico shares a 3,141 km (1,952 mi)border with the United States.
- Mexico is crossed from north to south by two mountain ranges known as Sierra Madre Oriental and Sierra Madre Occidental which are the extension of the Rocky Mountains from northern North America.
- The Tropic of Cancer effectively divides the country into temperate and tropical zones. Land north of the twenty-fourth parallel experiences cooler temperatures during the winter months. South of the twenty-fourth parallel, temperatures are fairly constant year round and vary solely as a function of elevation. This gives Mexico one of the worlds most diverse weather systems
- Many large cities in Mexico are located in the Valley of Mexico or in adjacent valleys with altitudes generally above 2,000 m (6,562 ft). This gives them a year-round temperate climate with yearly temperature averages (from 16 to 18 °C or 60.8 to 64.4 °F) and cool nighttime temperatures throughout the year.
For example, many cities in the north like Monterrey, Hermosillo, and Mexicali experience temperatures of 40 °C (104 °F) or more in summer. In the Sonoran Desert temperatures reach 50 °C (122 °F) or more.